21 Free Summer Activities for Kids in Winchester
With the Summer holidays nearly upon us, we thought we’d explore the activities and events going on in Winchester this Summer for you and your children to enjoy! From exploring Winchester’s history to getting messy in the back garden there’s so much to see and do and it doesn’t have to cost a thing!
Go Back in Time:
1. The Great Hall: Get immersed in a children’s trail of villains, heroes and ghosts! Or pose in amazing character costumes from a Gallant Knight to an Escaping Bishop!
2. Wolvesey Castle: Walk in the steps of powerful medieval Winchester bishops and Tudor monarchs! And you can feast on a picnic in the grounds too!
3. Westgate Museum: Get creative and make an authentic brass rubbing or try on a suit of armour!
4. Winchester Cathedral Children’s Trail: The Cathedral’s children’s trail brings the Cathedral to life in a fun and active way.
5. Start a nature journal: Explore the local wildlife and go on a nature hunt on the Winnall Moors!
6. Play Pooh Sticks on the River Itchen
7. Take a walk up St. Catherine’s Hill and then…
8. …have a picnic taking in the beautiful views of Winchester!
9. Feed the ducks on the river… but remember not to feed them bread! Instead, choose healthier options such as lettuce, oats or seeds.
10. Go on a photo walk: With so many beautiful pockets of Winchester, you’re not short of inspiration for photography – click here for some tips on teaching photography to your children!
Stay at Home:
11. Get messy! Inevitably it will rain this Summer – but that doesn’t mean the kids need to stay indoors – let them get messy and make mud pies!
12. Plant a garden: Get lots of green-fingered inspiration here!
13. Make ice-lollies: Take some inspiration from Jamie Oliver and make some strawberry ice lollies – perfect on a hot Summer’s day!
14. Ready, Set, Bake! Get baking at home with these brilliantly simple and fun recipes. You could even host a bake sale outside your house (although we’d recommend a taste-test first!).
Get into the Community Spirit:
15. Attend a local show: We love the Littleton and Harestock show; there’s something for everyone! Pet parades, competitions, arts and crafts and so much more!
16. Attend the Farmers’ Market: Visit the largest farmers’ market in the country here in Winchester! Stroll around and sample some of the local Hampshire delights.
18. Attend the Grand Duck Race starting at Winchester Mill all in support of Winchester City Mill’s fundraising appeal! You can sponsor a duck for £5 (okay, we know that’s not free but it’s a great cause to save the Mill’s future!).
19. Random acts of kindness: make someone’s day with some random acts of kindness! You could leave a letter in a library book, help a neighbour mow their lawn or get creative and make something for someone!
20. Get musical: Go on a mini trail and explore the Cathedral’s musical instruments then join in to make your own simple musical instrument to take home!
21. Get artistic: Armed with a sketch book and pencil, explore Winchester and draw the views and landmarks!
Can you think of anything we may have missed? If so, let us know on Facebook and we’ll add your ideas to this post!